“I just feel a little off since COVID-19”.
This refrain is frequent during patient conversations in the pharmacy,
What is Long COVID?
A wide-ranging collection of symptoms make up Long COVID according to the NIH. Have a look at their breakdown by body area. Basically, it’s everything that can make you feel a little off after being infected by COVID-19.
The underlying culprit
“This study suggests that the molecular mechanism behind many Long COVID-19 symptoms stems from this persistent inflammation”1.
Many of the symptoms such as brain fog2, even all the way to erectile dysfunction tie to inflammation3.
“This can partly be due to the presence of microvascular involvement even in “silent” forms of COVID-19, or to the presence of chronic low-grade inflammation which can trigger symptoms of long COVID even in asymptomatic patients. The presence of these combined factors can potentially increase the likelihood of developing erectile dysfunction (ED) in COVID-19 long haulers (Figure 1)”4
We’ve written below how we think of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) as an inflammation antidote.
Can it apply to Long COVID as well? The studies seem to suggest, YES!
HBOT can help with brain fog5. Well brain fog relates to neuroinflammation6. And HBOT can be neuroprotective7 and anti-inflammatory as we have seen before.
HBOT can help with erectile dysfunction8. “HBOT may be a good alternative treatment or adjunctive treatment for erectile dysfunction.”
HBOT can help with many of the symptoms making up Long Covid9.
This study summarizes prospects this way:
“Long COVID-related fatigue can be debilitating, and may affect young people who were previously in economic employment. The results presented here suggest potential benefits of HBOT, with statistically significant results following 10 sessions.”10
Try HBOT TODAY!
We are proud to offer an accessible HBOT service.
Check out the details on our website and get started battling your Long Covid!
- https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/long-covid-symptoms-linked-inflammation ↩
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35181440/ ↩
- https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article/28/5/642/2887725 ↩
- https://www.smr.jsexmed.org/article/S2050-0521(21)00085-8/fulltext ↩
- https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-15565-0 ↩
- https://academic.oup.com/ooim/article/3/1/iqac007/6722625 ↩
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8130666/ ↩
- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30089290/ ↩
- https://www.google.com/search?q=%22long covid%22 and %22hyperbaric oxygen%22 ↩
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8806311/ ↩